Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: May 19th Club paddle: River Gipping
BarryIsz
Administrator
Post May 19th Club paddle: River Gipping
on: April 14, 2019, 20:36

River trip on the Gipping

The Gipping like most of the rivers, canals have some amazing history about them. The Danes 860AD navigated the river. William Jessop designed the canal navigation system. He was appointed this roll on the 1st of April 1790 & it opened in September 1793 ( Would not happen that quick today with all the red tape) so from that date canal boats started there runs.
1846 the railway was opened with the start of the decline of the canal traffic. By 1900 there was very little commercial traffic left.
About 1970 the River Gipping Trust or (RGT) started to restore the river/canal.
This will be my third trip on the river & it is a long way with 15 locks but you will be glad to know we just need to navigate 14 of them.
There is one lock which if we need to I have sealed permission from the landowner to across there land.
Mike has paddled this with me so if you have questions he will be happy to suggest we all go to the pub instead!
I have had a chat with the RGT & he has told me about a very big tree blockage up from Needham Market but we have good skills at getting over, under blockages.
This would be the part that I did not get to on my bike on Friday evening, I think you call this S--law.
At the same time, the RGT has informed me which I sort of expected that some of the landowners up from Needham do not like you paddling the river.
But we have will always have some sort of fun wherever we go to. The two of the landowners I chatted with on Friday were very happy for us to be there.
At the moment we could shoot the weirs in white water kayaks or paddle in Canadians & get out on the footpath side? At the same time look at shooting the weirs in Canadians? One way we could do this is to get out at a weir stand in the river if we can & lower the Canadians back down? (Not sure about this) But at the same time if we come across a down tree I would prefer to be in a Canadian.

Starting point
The start is next to the Stowmarket Train Station, look for Prentice Rd Stowmarket on google maps go to the end of the rd. The river is about 2 mins walk to the starting point, it is a dead end road.
Ok we know it is not a very good place to start the 16 miles from but I have walked & cycled the river over the years & it is about the best place to get on the water from.
There is about half a mile of silted up river & factories like ICI to get past & then the river is met by river Rattesden which helps with the amount of water under the craft.

End point
The get out point is on the left of the river at IP14QE the road name is Riverside it is a cul-de-sac with very easy access to the river. The road is off the B1067 there is no parking restrictions there. I was thinking of ordering a taxi back to Stowmarket? So as the end of the day there is no shuttle to muck around with.

Mark B
Advanced
Post Re: May 19th Club paddle: River Gipping
on: April 14, 2019, 20:49

Will post start time just before

Mark B
Advanced
on: May 14, 2019, 20:00

Bures to Nayland

Meet at Bures for 9.45am for a car shuttle to Nayland.
I know we all need our beauty sleep so looking at getting on the river at Bures for 10.30am

We can park in Bures Community Centre
Nayland Rd, Bures CO8 5BX
Just bear in mind there will most properly be football matches on there.

When we depart the river at Nayland it is at the Anchor Inn Bures.
Please park in the overspill car park for the pub, or on the roadside.
Not in the pub car park.
The Anchor Inn is at 26 Court St, Nayland, Colchester CO6 4JL

This is about a 5-hour trip you will need kit kayak, food & so on but I think we all know this.
If you are not sure just send me a message on facebook chatter.

mark

Mark B
Advanced
Post Re: May 19th Club paddle: River Gipping postponed instead Bures to Nayland
on: May 14, 2019, 20:02

Quote from BarryIsz on April 14, 2019, 20:36
River trip on the Gipping

The Gipping like most of the rivers, canals have some amazing history about them. The Danes 860AD navigated the river. William Jessop designed the canal navigation system. He was appointed this roll on the 1st of April 1790 & it opened in September 1793 ( Would not happen that quick today with all the red tape) so from that date canal boats started there runs.
1846 the railway was opened with the start of the decline of the canal traffic. By 1900 there was very little commercial traffic left.
About 1970 the River Gipping Trust or (RGT) started to restore the river/canal.
This will be my third trip on the river & it is a long way with 15 locks but you will be glad to know we just need to navigate 14 of them.
There is one lock which if we need to I have sealed permission from the landowner to across there land.
Mike has paddled this with me so if you have questions he will be happy to suggest we all go to the pub instead!
I have had a chat with the RGT & he has told me about a very big tree blockage up from Needham Market but we have good skills at getting over, under blockages.
This would be the part that I did not get to on my bike on Friday evening, I think you call this S--law.
At the same time, the RGT has informed me which I sort of expected that some of the landowners up from Needham do not like you paddling the river.
But we have will always have some sort of fun wherever we go to. The two of the landowners I chatted with on Friday were very happy for us to be there.
At the moment we could shoot the weirs in white water kayaks or paddle in Canadians & get out on the footpath side? At the same time look at shooting the weirs in Canadians? One way we could do this is to get out at a weir stand in the river if we can & lower the Canadians back down? (Not sure about this) But at the same time if we come across a down tree I would prefer to be in a Canadian.

Starting point
The start is next to the Stowmarket Train Station, look for Prentice Rd Stowmarket on google maps go to the end of the rd. The river is about 2 mins walk to the starting point, it is a dead end road.
Ok we know it is not a very good place to start the 16 miles from but I have walked & cycled the river over the years & it is about the best place to get on the water from.
There is about half a mile of silted up river & factories like ICI to get past & then the river is met by river Rattesden which helps with the amount of water under the craft.

End point
The get out point is on the left of the river at IP14QE the road name is Riverside it is a cul-de-sac with very easy access to the river. The road is off the B1067 there is no parking restrictions there. I was thinking of ordering a taxi back to Stowmarket? So as the end of the day there is no shuttle to muck around with.

Mark B
Advanced
on: May 14, 2019, 20:06

With the Gipping river paddle on the 19th May, it has been postponed until later in the year. There is a lot of you that would like to do this trip from the feedback I have had, but it is not a good time for most of us.
So as this is booked as a Club trip I am going to run a different trip with Liz, on Sunday 19th May

Bures to Nayland

Meet at Bures for 9.45am for a car shuttle to Nayland.
I know we all need our beauty sleep so looking at getting on the river at Bures for 10.30am

We can park in Bures Community Centre
Nayland Rd, Bures CO8 5BX Just bear in mind there will most properly be football matches on there.

When we depart the river at Nayland it is at the Anchor Inn Bures.
Please park in the overspill car park for the pub, or on the roadside.
Not in the pub car park. The Anchor Inn is at 26 Court St, Nayland, Colchester CO6 4JL

This is about a 5-hour trip you will need kit kayak, food & so on but I think we all know this.
If you are not sure just send me a message on facebook chatter.

Jill
Beginner
on: May 16, 2019, 18:07

Cheryl and I will be coming on this paddle in the open boat.
Cheers Jill

webmaster
Administrator
on: May 16, 2019, 21:34

Shan't, won't, can't. I'm away with me 'ol ship mates at my annual RN old ships reunion. Enjoy. I will be with you in spirit - literally, John

Mark B
Advanced
on: May 17, 2019, 19:40

Brill see you at Bures.

Pages: [1]

One comment

1. webmaster says:

Registering on the Forum – email webmaster@bramstoncanoeclub.org
    Once I’ve verified who you are I will create a profile for you.

Leave a Reply